Re: Number of Threads per process in Java

From: shtirlitz_at_nonexisting.hamakor.org.il
Date: Tue 14 Sep 2004 - 10:50:08 IDT

Quoting Muli Ben-Yehuda <mulix_at_mulix.org>:

I can not say anything about the performance of 1:1 linux threading model.
I can not say that it is supperior or anything like that. I have not
done any benchmarks. I can just say that the design of this model has
some drawbacks.

"However, the two major types of thread implementation available - user threads
and kernel threads - both have significant drawbacks in overhead and
concurrency that can limit the performance of applications.

A potential solution to this problem exists in the form of a hybrid, two-level
thread system known as scheduler activations that divides the work between the
kernel and the user levels. Such a system has the potential to achieve the high
performance of user threads while retaining the concurrency of kernel threads."

"This system has several advantages: like other M:N systems, kernel resource
usages is kept small in comparison to the number of user-level threads;
voluntary thread switching is cheap, similar to user-level threads, and like
1:1 systems, an application's concurrency is fully maintained."

http://web.mit.edu/nathanw/www/usenix/freenix-sa/freenix-sa.html