Re: "Jumping" hebrew letters in mozilla

From: Beni Cherniavsky (cben_at_nonexisting.hamakor.org.il)
Date: Sun 21 Sep 2003 - 17:12:49 IDT

Nadav Har'El wrote on 2003-09-21:

> On Sun, Sep 21, 2003, Beni Cherniavsky wrote about ""Jumping" hebrew letters in mozilla":
> > Recent mozilla versions (as well as firebird/thunderbird) show hebrew
> > letters with different size for each letter. I remember it's a known
> > fixable problem, could somebody point me at the fix? I can't stand it
> > any longer ;-).
>
> Could this perhaps not be caused by Mozilla, but rather by your use of
> Redhat 9 which includes a broken font with only some (!) of the Hebrew
> letters in it? This problem was reported (and a fix suggested) on ivrix-discuss
> and maybe on this list a while ago.

Indeed. I thought the problem was in RH's hebrew-fonts, which I
replaced by culmus-fonts, so I thought it can't be it. But I found
Dov's explanation__ of the problem, it's in Nimbus Mono L, part of
urw-fonts.

__ http://imagic.weizmann.ac.il/~dov/Hebrew/hebrew_in_rh9.html

> Does anyone know if Redhat are planning to fix that idiotic font problem
> in the next version? Are they even aware of this problem?

Yes, Dov's page has a link to the bug he submitted and it's already
closed because urw-fonts-2.1 fixes it. Works for me.

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=urw-fonts

Dov, please replace your recommendation to downgrade it with a
recommendation to upgrade... And thank you for the info and the
local.conf file.

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben_at_users.sf.net>