An unexpected results when benchmarking Debian, Gentoo, Mandrake.

From: Shaul Karl (shaul_at_nonexisting.hamakor.org.il)
Date: Wed 06 Aug 2003 - 07:31:57 IDT

  I don't like benchmarking because it looks as black MAGIA (magic?) to
me. I believe that with so many ingredients one can cook almost
anything. As you can see I hardly understand the issue of benchmarking.
The following was pursued after the DWN (Debian Weekly News),
http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2003/31/.

  http://articles.linmagau.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=227&page=1

  Copied from that URL's Conclusions section:

     A quite unexpected set of results. We fully expected much more
     significant variance between these Linux distros. We certainly
     expected Gentoo to lead the tests, which has not been the
     case.

--
    Shaul Karl,    shaul @ actcom . net . il